Friday, August 5, 2011

ICE DYEING

There was an interesting article in the latest issue of QUILTING ARTS Magazine about Ice Dyeing.  That's the August/September 2011, Issue 52.


I have a large tray that I used for wetting paper for printing, but I had a hard time finding some kind of screen to put on top of it.  We ended up taking apart an unused baby-gate and I used on side of it over the tray.  It worked okay, it's major downfall being that the ice can fall through the large holes.  I would suggest a window screen or a shelving rack with smaller holes.


So, first you soak your fabric in a soda ash solution.


Then the art here is in how you fold the fabrics.  I tried several different ways, even just bunching it up.  Then I put them all on the screen close together.



Then pile on ice cubes.
 
Then sprinkle on the dry dye pigments.  I used three different colors.

 




 
Isn't that beautiful!
I found myself sitting there staring at the beautiful colors as the dyes ate into the ice and started to melt onto the fabrics.
Then I realized I was sitting there watching ice melt and I got up and went to do something productive.


The next morning, the ice is melted.  I rinsed out the fabrics and hung them up to dry.


Depending on how you fold them, you get some interesting results. 












Great fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment